Wednesday, August 12, 2009

An Open Letter to Governor Mitch Daniels

Dear Governor Daniels,
I thought you could use an update on how well the outsourcing is going on fssa. I FINALLY have an appeal hearing date on my turndown for medicaid for disabled workers. It is August 24, amazingly enough, that's this August! I got my initial turndown for last July (2008) application in late spring. I was turned down because, get this, they think I might still be able to do some kind of work. I am a brittle diabetic that has diabetic neuropathy, diabetic retinopathy, bipolar II disorder, asthma, hypertension and have been hearing disabled since age four. Do you have a job for someone that can barely walk, stand or sit for any length of time, that is also, hard of hearing and possibly going blind (if the retinopathy doesn't get treated), has difficulty breathing and may experience severe mood changes? If you know of anyone that would hire me, I would love to know.
In the meantime, I have to reuse my insulin needles until they're so dull they leave little scars. I rely on medications from assistance programs. These are not always the most effective medications because, not all are available thru a program. So my diabetes remains poorly controlled at the mercy of the state AND pharmaceutical companies that receive incentives from our state!
In the interim, my daughter, who will soon be 18 had her hoosier healthwise(?) canceled a second time, as did my husband's that covers his medicare premiums/copays. We successfully got them reinstated, having been through it before. On another note, our foodstamps have been reduced from $95/mo to $94/mo starting september. Our fixed income, which is just that, fixed, has not changed.
I work just 4 hours a week doing light housekeeping, cooking for a single client through the local council on aging, that I am employed by. When I started in 2003, I worked 21 hours per week. Now, it's all I can do to handle the two hours I go cook, wash the few dishes, help with paperwork, and light odds and ends I do for this gentleman. I don't know how much longer I will be able to do this. My eyes are rapidly approaching the point where I'll have to give up driving. Do I seriously have to go completely blind before I will get help?
Or is the plan like Survivor, outwit, outplay, OUTLAST? Is the system now designed to keep people in limbo until they give up or DIE?!
If the problems aren't fixed in time for me, I hope that in the future, they do get fixed. Indiana is rapidly becoming a geriatric state like Florida because all of our young people can't wait to get away. They watch Indiana's response to these problems, and are disappointed. Unlike Florida, we don't have the tourism industry to save us with tax dollars. It's in your hands, Governor Daniels, as am I.
Sincerely, one of your loyal (at least in the last election) constituents,
Marcia L.Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment