Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Taste for Something Sweet...

What ever happened to Licorice allsorts? I did a search and found them available online in bulk. There is the classic allsorts that apparently are a British novelty. The closest thing I have found in stores around here are the boxed movie treats, Mike and Ike. Those however don't include the beaded looking allsorts, or the ribbon style. With the Mike and Ike's you just get two color choices in one shape, pink and white capsule shape.
Candy and gum go through trends like anything else. Some candies have real staying power as do so chewing gum products. Wrigley's doublemint and juicy fruit have been around forever. When it comes to chocolate, for more than a hundred years the hershey bar has been a classic. It has been a dry spell for me sweet-wise, so I decided to weigh in on what my cravings have been of late. I miss allsorts, ribbon candy (which resurfaces around Christmas), Beeman's gum, and the lately resurfacing pop rocks.
As I was reminescing about sweets from my childhood, I remember Momma telling me once that she had worked for a chocolate manufacturer as a young woman. The company had made the "Bun" bars (line has since been bought by another company). I remember her telling me that the assorted chocolates that come in boxes, had a unique swirl or design on top depending on the filling inside. She could no longer recall which was which, but one with a milk chocolate coating might have a clockwise swirl. Another, might have two squiggly lines. I had previously thought the swirls, etc, were just random and had no meaning.
Anyway, I remember those little wax "soda" bottles with a juice inside. I remember the bit o' honey that was so chewy, you'd swear it was pulling fillings. I know we enjoyed BlackJack and Clove gum. Before there was certs, there was sensen for breath freshening. And it seems like Snickers bars have been around forever. But I think one of my fondest memories is the boxes of Reese's Peanut butter cups miniatures before they were individually wrapped. We always had them chilled in the fridge. On a hot day, there was nothing like an ice cold Reese's mini! And what ever happened to "penny" candy? Remember the root beer striped sticks of hard candy? Or one of maybe 20 or more flavors?
You know, around Ralph's family, we don't mention Saf-t-pops. It seems that they were UNsafe for Ralph, he nearly choked to death on one of the ropelike paper twist handles. I still hold that there is NO substitute for parental supervision. I mean, Juli never choke on a handle! (although, she might have welcomed a little less supervision)
Anyway, there is once again sweets in the house, and I am about to enjoy a single serving, as per package. I know, what fun is that, but as I am diabetic, I have to include in my diet and behave. What a bummer. Comment back and let me know your "sweet" memories AND what is your current favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment